Key moments along our life journey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How old were you?

Do you remember how old you were when you started to care how you look? When my kids are little I dress them up cute, make sure they brush there hair and teeth! Then there comes a time when they want to pick out there own clothes and take care of themselves. I bite the bullet and let them wear orange knee high socks with red shorts a purple sweatshirt and sandals!!!!!!!! I try to remind them to brush there hair and teeth but leave it up to them. So they usually don't match, brush there teeth once in awhile and hair occasionally. Unless we are going somewhere important. I try not to say to much. (pick my battles) Then one day out of the blue you notice, clothes matching, hair brushed, and deodorant, without saying a word! That was the last 2 days for BB. On Monday I notice she brushed her hair and had on a cute outfit! I was impressed. (She gets up at 7:17, and we leave the house at 7:20) Then Tuesday night at bed time she brushed her hair and teeth and put on some makeup. ( I told her we don't usually where makeup to bed. She said that is ok I don't sleep on my face!) So I realized, she is growing up. That made me think of KK. Who was also 4th grade when I started to notice the same things.
For M that was 6th grade. Right after Christmas he was asking for certain brands, wearing deodorant and brushing his hair! Then I realized, if I could just get a girl to tell him to brush his teeth we would be doing great!
I remember the exact moment I started caring about what I wear. It was at the end of 3rd grade. I was sitting on the floor at school, listening to the teacher. When Missy said to me, Why are you wearing those ugly boy socks? I looked down and thought why am I wearing these ugly boy socks? I never thought about it until then. I never cared about until then. From then on I started to think about what I was wearing.
So now I realize it is girls who get boys to start caring about how they look. It is also girls who get girls to care about how they look. There could be exceptions but not to many 4th or 5th grade boys are going to say something to a girl about how they dress! That doesn't come until later, but that is a whole different topic!

No comments: